An Historical Outline of the Peckville United Methodist Church
1804 - This area appears as the Wyoming circuit and was part of the Philadelphia District.
1810 - This area appears as the Susquehanna district and listed as in the new Genesee Conf.
1829 The Susquehanna district becomes part of the new Oneida Conference
1852 The present Wyoming Conference first meets in Carbondale on July 7th .
Originally called the Blakely Mission circuit this church was established in 1856. This Parish was organized by Rev. D. Williams.
Tradition lists the first members here in 1856: Mr. and Mrs. Israel Ferris, Darius Barber, Mrs. Dorcas Travis and Mrs. Mary Mott.
In 1860 the Blakely Mission charge included Olyphant, Archbald, Jermyn, Blakely, Secors Point. The name was changed to Peckville in 1872.
In 1867 Rev. S.F. Wright W.J. McCormick, and W.H. Page went into the forest and hewed the timbers of the first church building.
The first church was built on the present lot in 1868 which was purchased by the Ladies Aid Society from J.D. Peck for $200.00.
The deed was executed June 26, 1869. Trustees: Wm. Pudy, D.C. Thomas, Jas. Hurd, Wm Williams and S.F. Wright. The church (including bell and furnishings) cost $5,000.00. It was dedicated July 4,1868, with the Rev. Ruben Nelson, D. D. preaching. The Ladies Aid Society raised $1,000.00 in 1868.
In 1894 the old church was moved and the present church was built. The dedication was November 25, 1894. Sermons were given by the Revs. Ives and Thorpe.
Prior to 1862 the Pastors resided in Archbald. From 1862 to 1877 the Pastors resided in Blakely.
The parsonage was built in 1877, and improved in 1888. The lot was bought from the Hillside Coal and Iron Co. for $1.00.
Ground was broken for the Sunday School Building on August 17, 1915. Dedication was February 20, 1916. With a sermon given by Bishop Berry. The debt was paid and the note burned on May